The school's magazine, Vital Signs, is published for and distributed to alumni, faculty, staff and friends of Boonshoft School of Medicine.
Issues and Insights:
The Dean's Perspective
Collaboration and community
Of all the aspects of academic medicine that make my job so rewarding, the opportunity to work with so many dedicated professionals who excel in their diverse fields has to be one of the most gratifying.
Some of our faculty are caring practitioners who devote their days to making life better for patients and their families. Some are outstanding educators who possess a gift for helping students master the science of medicine and the art of healing. Still others are brilliant scientists whose work expands and refines our understanding of human life in all of its infinite complexity.
And, as you will discover in this issue's centerpiece feature on translational research, many of our faculty fulfill all three of these roles at once.
Also in these pages, we will introduce you to many other exceptional faculty, students, and alumni who are making a difference in the world and making their mark in the field of medicine. Like me, I hope you will find their stories interesting, informative, and even inspiring. From students breaking new ground over the radio waves to an alumnus leaving the ground far behind for a historic voyage into space, the individuals featured here are all exemplary in their own ways.
These stories highlight the importance of both personal initiative and productive collaboration. We are strongly committed to fostering both within the medical school, and I am thrilled to bring you such compelling evidence that our efforts are yielding results. Enjoy!
Howard M. Part, M.D.
What's Inside this Issue:
- What's Inside
- Cuba: Land of contrasts
- Injury Prevention Center recognized for community outreach
- An old idea for a new era of space exploration
- Research symposium explores cutting-edge medical science "beyond the genome"
- Weight loss benefits, by the numbers
- New home for the Department of Family Medicine
- Preparing for the worst
- Surgery by remote
- Medical school created $850.5 million economic impact, 13,000 jobs in 2007
- Medical school hosts national M.D./M.B.A. conference
- Public health summit explores healthy lifestyles
- Translational Research: Shortening the path from bench to bedside
- Critical connections: How collaboration, cross-training can translate to medical breakthroughs
- An eye for the truth: On the trail of an international medical mystery
- Gut check: Mapping the vast, vital world of microflora
- Getting started on your research: Practical advice for clinicians
- 1,000 Words
- Paul Koles: Using all his gifts
- The fast and the studious
- Radio Rounds gets around
- Experience in India strengthens student's dedication to service
- Student organizes regional meeting, wins national award
- M.D./M.B.A. research in Asia, South America
- Student research on display at spring event
- Match Day
- On the Move
- Reaching for the Stars: Michael Barratt's chance to walk the (space)walk
- Life on a platter: The unlikely journey of Susan Williams
- Alumni Notes
- The science of slapstick: Medical school meets Vaudeville
Search past issues of Vital Signs and all news releases back to 1997