Wright State University
Boonshoft School of Medicine
Procedure number: 230
Revised: September 2014
Subject: Continuances-Fully Affiliated and Partially Affiliated Faculty
The initial appointment period is usually three years. A faculty member's first continuance is for four years, thereafter continuances are for five years.
School guidelines for faculty rank in appointment, continuance, and promotion are summarized in the School's Policy Three. Each department will also consider its own specific departmental criteria.
The Boonshoft School of Medicine (School) Bylaws require a review of all faculty appointments that are due to expire.
- Fully Affiliated Faculty: In January each department receives the list of faculty appointments scheduled to expire June 30 of the following academic year. This process provides sufficient time for the department and the School to complete their continuance reviews. In the event that non-continuance is recommended, the faculty member must be notified at least seven months before the end of continuance. Specific non-continuance process and documentation are described in Procedure 240.
- Partially Affiliated Faculty: In the summer quarter each department receives the list of faculty appointments scheduled to expire June 30 of the next year. In the event that non-continuance is recommended, the faculty member must be notified at least two months before the end of continuance. Specific non-continuance process and documentation are described in Procedure 240.
- The chair and the department's faculty actions committee should review the faculty activities of all faculty members scheduled for continuance review. An updated CV and/or annual reports for the current continuance term should be assessed.
- If a continuance is not recommended, the reason not to continue must be described in a separate memo for each non-continuance case. This document must be prepared in compliance with Procedure 240.
- The chair signs the faculty continuance list, attesting to completion of the above review process, and sends it to the Office of Faculty and Clinical Affairs at least eight months prior to expiration of appointment term for fully affiliated faculty and four months for partially affiliated faculty. The Office of Faculty and Clinical Affairs forwards the chair's recommendation to the Executive Committee for confirmation.
- If the faculty member is a School departmental chair, the Office of Faculty and Clinical Affairs will meet with a senior departmental member to review the chair's current academic performance as a faculty member. The recommendation will be forwarded to the Executive Committee for confirmation.
Last Updated 5 Sep 2014 (sho)