Live or enduring material activities that are provided via the Internet are considered to be "Internet CME." To be designated for credit, Internet CME must
- Comply with the guidelines for category I activities
- For CME activities in which the learner participates electronically (e.g., via Internet, CD-ROM, satellite broadcasts), all required ACCME information must be transmitted to the learner prior to the learner beginning the CME activity. All new CME activities released on or after January 1, 2008 must conform to this policy. Existing CME activities that are reviewed and re-released after January 1, 2008 must conform to this policy.
- The accredited provider must have a mechanism in place for the learner to be able to contact the provider if there are questions about the Internet CME activity.
- The hardware and software required for the learner to participate must be identified at the start of each Internet CME activity.
- A contact must be identified for the learner to be able to ask questions about the Internet CME activity.
- The policy on privacy and confidentiality that relates to the CME activities provided on the Internet may be found at the CME privacy statement.
- Internet activities must document ownership of copyright, or demonstrate that the provider has received permissions for use of, or is otherwise permitted to use copyrighted materials within a CME activity on the Internet.
- CME activities shall not appear on a pharmaceutical or device manufacturer's product website.
- Links from a Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine sponsored activity to pharmaceutical and device manufacturers' product Web sites are only permitted before or after the educational content of the CME activity, but shall not be embedded in the educational content of a CME activity.
- There shall be clear notification that the learner is leaving the educational Web site.
- Advertising of any type is prohibited within the educational content of CME activities on the Internet including, but not limited to, banner ads, subliminal ads and pop-up window ads.
- If the activity is meant to endure, it must follow additional guidelines described in the enduring materials policy