Area Health Education Center
The Ohio State Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) program, administered through seven regional medical schools, seeks to improve the availability of health care professionals and improve access to quality health care in Ohio, especially for underserved populations. The mission is accomplished through:
- academic and community collaboration that emphasizes primary care and focuses on underserved areas
- continuing education in health professions across the state
- education in health promotion and disease prevention within the community
- introducing young people to careers in health
The Center for Healthy Communities serves as the Area Health Education Center for Region IV in Ohio. Region IV serves Champaign, Clark, Darke, Greene, Miami, Montgomery, Preble and Shelby counties. The Region IV program director is Katherine Cauley, Ph.D., director of the Center for Healthy Communities.
The Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine and the Center for Healthy Communities engage in programming that promotes the Ohio AHEC mission.
Continuing Education for Health Professionals
The Center for Healthy Communities periodically presents community education opportunities for health professionals in the Greater Dayton area, both in day-long conferences and shorter seminars and workshops. Recognizing that health professionals work in partnership across many disciplines, CHC strives to present interdisciplinary perspectives of important healthcare topics in its community education programs and offer continuing education credit to physicians (CME), nurses, psychologists, counselors, and social workers.
AHEC Programs in Ohio
- Ohio Statewide AHEC Program
- Region I: The University of Toledo, Medical College of Ohio
- Region II: Case Western Reserve University
- Region III: Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Region IV: Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Region Va: The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Region Vb: Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Region VI: University of Cincinnati