Bed and Board Program
— Mary Beth Rodes, Class of 2004
The Bed and Board Program provides you with a unique opportunity to interact with medical students and support your alma mater.
Do you remember...
- how stressful your fourth year of medical school was?
- the challenges of traveling to interview for residencies or for other educational purposes?
- how difficult it can be trying to get around in a strange city on a limited budget?
Could you provide a traveling medical student with...
- a place to spend the night?
- some good conversation, career advice, and a meal or two?
- information about your local area?
This year, medical students will be traveling across the country for residency interviews, away-electives, and educational conferences. By serving as a host, you can save students $150-$200 per day in hotel charges, car rentals, meals, and other related expenses.
The Bed and Board Program is designed to provide you with travel assistance and the opportunity to network with medical alumni.
- an MSIV student traveling out of town for residency interviews?
- an MSIV student who matched in a new city and need assistance with finding housing or getting acquainted with a new area?
- seeking advice from alumni who have completed particular residency programs?
- attending a conference either on your own or in conjunction with a student organization?
- completing an away-elective in another city?
The Medical Alumni Association has over 175 registered alumni in over 35 states who are willing to help you. To view a map of registered alumni located nation-wide, click here.
To request assistance, simply fill out the Student Application Form or contact the Office of Advancement at (937) 245-7610. Once an alumni host is identified, we will forward you their preferred contact information. Then, it is up to you to contact the alumnus to share the details of your travel plans and make arrangements.
An alternate available resource is the Physicians-In-Training Host Program, operated by the AMA Alliance, AMA Medical Student Section and AMA Resident/Fellows Section.
"I had a wonderful time. Dr. Gavagan and his family were very helpful and considerate.
This is a great program! Thank you so much!"
— Jamie Elifritz, Class of 2006
Alumni, thank you for your willingness to help our students. Once you submit the application below, we will keep you on file as an active Bed and Board Participant. If a student requests assistance in your local area, we will forward your contact information to them. The student will contact you directly to finalize the details. Thank you for considering participation in this program!